Friday, November 29, 2019

Thermalito Afterbay Feather River

Thermalito Afterbay, Feather River Nov. 24th, 2019

The Thermalito Afterbay is much larger than the forebay that I visited the day before.   Power boats are allowed for fishing and there were several fishing boats already out fishing when I set out on the kayak.  I brought sandals and insect repellent for this trip.  My toes were a little chilly.


The monument Hill boat launch is right off the 162 freeway coming from Oroville.   The bridge doesn't have a lot of clearance overhead.  Birds nests line the underside of the structure.



It was a little chilly in the morning but still a spectacular day for November.  The view of The Buttes mountains and a variety of birds make this a very nice place to paddle.


I hardly noticed the waves when the wind picked up or fishing boats zoomed by.  I spent about an hour paddling and visited both sides of the bay under the bridge.  There is a lot of area to explore with the outlet to the Feather River near Highway 70.

No comments:

Post a Comment