Friday, November 29, 2019

Thermalito Forebay Feather River

There was no one else in site when I paddled out onto Thermalito Forebay near Oroville ca.  The Oroville dam has an outlet that diverts water into the forebay before connecting to the Feather River.  There are no power boats allowed and this is one of the best places to paddle when there is no wind.  In the summer time, the aquatic center rents kayaks and is a popular destination.

Thermalito Forebay, Feather River Nov. 23rd, 2019

There is a good view of Tabletop Mountain when looking towards the Sierra foothills and a view of The Buttes when looking out towards the Sacramento valley.  It was a beautiful clear day with no wind around lunch time Saturday, Nov. 23rd, 2019.




 The local CA State Park ranger stopped by I was setting up.  He was happy to have someone to talk too since there was no one else around.  He asked if I had seen a stray dog he was looking for and I checked with him to make sure it was alright to kayak from the launch spot off the road.  He said it was OK where I was parked but not to leave any valuables visible in the car.  There is a paid state park entrance on the other side of the forebay that has a little safer parking area.


I realized that I needed two things after getting on the water.  Insect repellent for the mosquitoes.  Sandals that I could walk on rocks and get wet instead of bare feet.


I paddled for about an hour before spotting the two mosquitoes that were riding on my legs.  Resolved to come back the next day with proper foot wear and repellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment